Friday, January 30, 2009

Baby Berry is going to be here SOON!!!

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but that baby over there on the left is getting pretty big. Today is Kellie's last Friday to not go to the doctor before Baby Truett gets here. I know at the same time, she is thrilled about that and SCARED about that! We, of course, are all thrilled about having another Burnham grandbaby, but --other than the obvious parents of the child--no one is more excited about having a sweet, innocent new life to love on than Aunt Mel because all I have to do is show up at the hospital and watch through the window!!! I've had some thoughts I've been meaning to share with Kellie and Ryan about the time in the hospital and those first few weeks at home, so I thought I would post them here and then you guys can comment and add your advice. It'll give KBB something to do while she is waiting these last few weeks. OK, here goes.....
  • During these last few weeks, have a date each week. They will be harder to come by after he gets here!!

In the hospital.........

  • You will have a built-in babysitter called the nursery for the ONLY time in Truett's whole life. Don't feel bad about using it--although with Dean, my thought was that I wanted him in the room as much as possible so that I could figure out what in the world I was doing while I had nurses right outside the door. (I'm sure you'll get some comments about this one.)
  • Babies really are resilient. You won't break him.
  • Learn how to swaddle.
  • I know Uncle Steve has already told you about that first dirty diaper. Read up on it. It could freak you out if you aren't prepared!
  • Make sure you have the car seat installed when you go to the hospital. They won't let you leave until they check it.
  • Don't feel like you are being rude to keep people out of your room until you are ready--this really is ALL about you-well, until Truett is born and then you'll think we all forgot that you were even involved in this process!!
  • Lastly, about the hospital, enjoy your time. Sit back, relax, and take it all in. Don't do more that you can. When they send you home, you need to be as rested as possible.

OK, when you get home..........

  • Accept as much help as you can stand in that first week--if someone wants to bring food, let them, if Mom wants to wash all your clothes before you even get to wear them, let her...., BUT again, don't feel rude if you need to leave the room to feed or rock, or SLEEP!
  • Since you only have one child now, follow the advice of "Sleep when the baby sleeps." Adrenaline will get you through a few weeks, but you need your rest.
  • Put some antibacterial soap at every sink in the house so when guests want to hold Baby Tru, you can ask them to wash their hands first.
  • If you get bibs or burp cloths, save some to use just to take out--so you have clean ones when you head to church, etc.
  • Something I wish I had done is take a picture next to a stuffed animal or something constant so you can see how much Truett is growing from day to day, month to month.
  • Enjoy every minute, I can honestly say it will be gone before you turn around!

I think it is hard for most of us to see "Baby Curly" and "Precious" having a baby of their own. Please keep Kellie and Truett and Ryan in your prayers these last few weeks. Pray that her visits to the doctor will be informative enough to keep her relaxed about being so far from the hospital, pray that Kellie and Ryan can sleep well so they are ready for the late nights, pray for a safe and easy delivery. Baby Truett is due March 6, 2009. We'll let you know if that date changes and certainly when Truett makes his big arrival!!!

1 comment:

Kim Shirley said...

Such a great post! Hope you don't mind if I take this advice too - and feel free to share more. :)